Simply click the button below to apply for this position.Apply
Healthcare Assistant – ASD Secure: Northampton IPU
From £16,980 plus enhancements (Career Level: Primary Contributors - Band 2)
Full time - 37.5 hours per week
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is the name for a range of conditions that affect a person's social interaction, communication, interests and behaviour. The ASD Secure: Northampton IPU cares for men with ASD within a forensic psychiatric setting; providing treatment to those who have been detained under the mental health act, who have additional complex mental health needs or have a history of putting themselves or others at risk. Patients are supported in one of the four wards ranging from medium security to a locked ward.
What we provide
Many of the service users have experienced severe trauma in their lives and staff members need to work to develop a compassionate and sensitive ward culture that helps to develop trust and a positive therapeutic rapport. Our objective is to help people feel safe enough to learn new ways of behaving so that they can move towards low secure environments or community living.
This is your opportunity to be part of specialist services for people with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD). You will be part of the multi-disciplinary team of Nurses, Occupational Therapist, Psychologists, Social Workers and Responsible Clinicians that work on the ward who are able to provide expertise in all aspects of the service users' requirements. You will also be trained within all aspects of the role and have a mentor to support you.
There are no set entry requirements to become a Healthcare Assistant but there are skills and personal characteristics needed.
To be a Healthcare Assistant in mental health care, you will need to be:
· Caring and kind
· Cheerful and friendly
· Willing to do personal care tasks (washing, toileting, etc.) in some areas
· Able to follow instructions and procedures
· Able to work in a team but use your own initiative
You'll also need:
· Communication and listening skills
· Organisational skills
· Observational skills
We offer an excellent benefits package including:
· Sickness policy on par with the NHS
· 35 days annual leave, increasing to 41 after 10 years' service
· Life cover
· Car lease scheme
· Cycle to work scheme
· Healthcare cash plan
· Free parking
· Paid DBS application
· Access to free vocational qualifications
· There is the opportunity for you to apply to our Aspire Programme, a nursing bursary programme, which could support you while training to be a qualified nurse. Each year we provide the financial and development support for 20 of our employees to gain a Nursing Degree.
Closing date: Sunday 21st July 2019.