Occupational Therapy Technical Instructor
Salary: £20,950 per annum
6 Month Secondment - Hours 37.5 per week
You can achieve more at St Andrew’s Healthcare
St Andrew’s is a unique provider of specialist care in mental health and learning disabilities. We aspire to deliver truly world-class, holistic services within our outstanding, modern facilities. Our independence means we can always put patients’ interests at the heart of decision-making while re-investing surpluses in frontline services. We are currently transforming the Charity to deliver ‘Value-Based Healthcare. This will ensure our patients consistently get the best possible outcomes and local teams gain more control and responsibility.
St Andrew’s Birmingham is a 118 bedded adult mental healthcare facility, located in Stirchley and comprises eight units that cover medium and low security. Six of the wards provide services for Men, the remaining two low secure wards provide services for Women. We are currently transforming the Charity and are introducing Integrated Practice Units (IPU's) as the vehicle to deliver 'Value-Based Healthcare. This will ensure our patients consistently get the best possible outcomes and local teams gain more control and responsibility. This will be an opportunity for you to see our patients through the eyes of an occupational therapist and you will receive teaching and guidance about how to use occupation as a therapeutic medium.
Clinical and management supervision will be provided on a monthly bases, added to a scaffolding of daily support from the OT team.
You will work with a senior occupational therapist who will guide you through a comprehensive induction process and thereafter you will become a member of the occupational therapy team who has the skills of planning and implement group and one to one sessions. Sessions include personal care, community skills, cooking skills, social skills, and a variety of topic based groups and vocational opportunities.
"Our patients and your colleagues will expect you to live the St Andrew’s CARE values of Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence every single day".
We are seeking a person who can.
- Demonstrate previous experience of working within a care setting would be advantageous.
- Demonstrate commitment to the St Andrews CARE values of Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
- Have a resilient personality and a willingness to work in a demanding environment.
- Have a zest for expanding your outlook and an interest in understanding how occupation can impact an individual’s state of health.
- Wants to be a change agent in promoting positive experiences.
- Have the ability to work as part of a team.
- Have good organisational and communication skills.
- Build a rapport with patients and engage with them
This job is for anyone who holds an interest in understanding how activity can promote wellbeing. If you enjoy a daily challenge, where you will experience personal growth and have a deep set conviction to care for others, then this job is worth considering.
In return, you will be part of an enthusiastic, supportive and cohesive occupational therapy team
We offer an excellent benefits package including:
- Sickness policy on par with the NHS
- 35 days annual leave, increasing to 41 after 10 years' service
- Life cover
- Car lease scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Healthcare cash plan
- Free parking
- Paid DBS application
- Access to free vocational qualifications